What Is It?
Walk With Ease was developed by experts at the Arthritis Foundation and the Osteoarthritis Action Alliance to provide tools and techniques to build and maintain a successful walking program.
Who should attend?
The program was designed to benefit adults who want to:
- Reduce the pain and discomfort of arthritis and/or joint pain
- Increase balance, strength and walking pace
- Build confidence in the ability to be physically active
- Improve overall health
What are the components?
- Meets 3 times per week for about an hour for 6 weeks
- Led by 1-2 trained program providers
- Sessions consist of a “lecturette topic” lasting about 5-10 minutes, warm up, stretching, walking, and cool down.
- There is also a self-directed program option that encourages walking on one’s own and/or once weekly group walking sessions, with support through online and email resources
What are the goals?
- Understand the relationship between exercise and pain
- Learn how to exercise safely and comfortably
- Use methods to make walking fun
- Develop and implement a personal walking plan with realistic goals for improved fitness
- Gather tips, strategies and resources that will help participants maintain a long-term exercise routine
- Learn about other programs and resources that help participants keep up their walking