Updated April 3, 2020
Now more than ever, it’s important to connect with one another and be a source of hope and kindness to our friends, family, and neighbors. Increasing isolation and loneliness are a serious concern, where a quarter of older adults were already socially isolated before COVID-19. We know it will take a concerted effort from citizens, neighborhoods, private companies, local governments, and nonprofits to get through this time. Mon Ami is more committed than ever to our mission of serving seniors and addressing isolation and are proud to play our part in the response efforts. We have adapted our services to the new social distancing environment and are donating services and technology to support seniors during the crisis.
Our commitment to seniors during the crisis:
- Supporting cities and local nonprofits: Mon Ami is working in partnership with local governments and nonprofits to coordinate social calls and errand runs for groceries, prescriptions, and other essentials. We are proud to donate our services and technology to the City of San Francisco and Mayor London Breed’s office to support the seniors of San Francisco during the crisis in coordination with OpenHouse and Shanti Project. Read more here. If you are interested in partnering with us, please email [email protected]
- National Volunteer Phone Bank: Seniors anywhere in the world who are isolated by COVID-19 can sign up to receive calls from a volunteer for a virtual social visit, technology support by phone, finding answers to questions. It’s not just a one-time thing either. People will need support for the weeks or months to come. The phone bank ensures seniors get calls on a regular basis from the same person, building a new and meaningful connection in a moment of crisis. Sign up at this LINK or call (650) 267-2474
- Coordinating on-the-ground volunteer efforts: Our platform is being leveraged to help with matching and scheduling of volunteers to deliver meals, groceries, and other essential needs where we have volunteers available.
- Virtual groups for seniors: Join us for group virtual visits where we offer concerts, reading groups, exercise, and art sessions by video or phone for free for the duration of the crisis. To sign up, reach out to us at [email protected] or call (650) 267-2474.
- Virtual support in senior living: We are facilitating donations of tablets to senior living facilities so that companions, friends, and family can visit their loved ones virtually. If you are a living facility interested in partnering with us, please reach out at [email protected]
Our commitment to seniors beyond the crisis:
While this moment puts a harsh spotlight on social isolation, we know seniors will continue to need support well beyond the point where it is safe to end shelter-in-place measures. We are committed to working with seniors, families, community organizations, and other local entities to make sure needs that are surfaced during our COVID-19 outreach are addressed beyond the crisis.
- Phone Bank matches made during COVID-19 will continue: Seniors that are matched with a volunteer caller during the COVID-19 can choose to continue their calls in perpetuity.
- Referrals to existing local resources: For seniors who can benefit from free or low-cost resources around social support, food insecurity, or other assistance, we are committed to connecting seniors with local nonprofits and other resources where available and when services are running again.
To read more about ways anybody can support seniors in their community, check out our blog 5 ways to help seniors isolated by COVID-19
Updated March 17, 2020
Like many of you, we at Mon Ami are closely monitoring the developments around COVID-19 and its impact in our community. The safety and wellbeing of our customers and companions is our top priority. We are taking precautionary measures, following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO), and will be providing regular updates on our efforts here.
We know that some of the areas we serve are experiencing community spread. To date, we have communicated with our families, loved ones, companions, and community partners the importance of taking protective measures following CDC and WHO guidelines.
- We are canceling all in-person visits. Effective the week of March 16, 2020, we will be canceling all in-person visits (at home and in facility) for the time being to protect the health and safety of all our customers and companions.
- We connect remotely. We are now offering virtual visits to anybody across the country who might be isolated by COVID-19. Customers can request a virtual visit from their regular companions. In addition, anybody can participate in the Mon Ami Phone Bank to receive calls on a daily, weekly, or other regular basis from volunteer callers who speak multiple languages. To sign up for the Phone Bank as a recipient or a volunteer caller, please CLICK HERE.
- We offer contactless errand support. We will be providing support to seniors who are advised not to leave home with grocery shopping, pharmacy pickup, dog walking, and other errands.
- We organize communities to care. We have shared our thoughts for how anybody anywhere can provide support seniors isolated by COVID-19, outlined in this blog post. Now is the time to express care and compassion to those around us.
Our community is built on mutual respect and care for one another. We know that is what will see us through these trying times. Please don’t hesitate to reach out anytime if we can support you further (650) 247 – 2474.